Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cilantro Lime Rice

My last month of college I budgeted a pretty hefty sum of money to eat at Cafe Rio, a fresh-Mex-ish restaurant in Utah that is better than the average fresh Mex.  When I visit Utah, my plans usually revolve around when I can eat there.  Sometimes I dream about it.  My sister and I have talked about a 6 hour road trip to eastern Washington to visit a new location there.  It's that important and that good. 

There are lots of copy-cat recipes out there, but this is my fave for the rice.  It is served at the bottom of a Cafe Rio salad and topped with many other delicious things that I will post at some later date.  I also like this as a side dish for anything Mexican. 

I used Basmati rice this time because it is what I had.  It tasted great!  I also made it the night before and reheated it on the stove.  I added some chicken stock so that it wouldn't be too dry.  It was de-lish!

 
CILANTRO LIME RICE
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 ¼ cup uncooked white rice
  • juice and zest of 2 limes
  • 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons (or more) finely chopped cilantro
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin
  • pepper to taste

In a skillet melt butter with rice.
 
 
Add the chicken broth and the rest of the ingredients.
 
 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
 
 

1 comment: